I had a bad day. A bad review. My work computer blew up. I had to have my annual woman's checkup, during which my doctor me to have a diabetes screening because my blood work looks off.
By 5:30 p.m., I was basically fried.
Which is about when I found myself in the KFC line listening to a Veggie Tales soundtrack with my son.
"Little Guys Can Do Big Things, Too" came on. And as Junior and Archibald Asparagus role-played David and King Saul, Archibald/Saul asks little Junior/David, "Can't you just play your harp and I'll throw things at you?"
And it hit me.
David knew he was annointed. As a young man serving in Saul's palace, with a manic-depressive king hurling insults and whatever he could reach at his head, David knew.
When he faced down Goliath, David knew.
The prophet Samuel anoints David the next king over Israel in 1 Samuel 16:12. Then he is called and goes to play for the king every time Saul gets in a mood. And then he has to convince people to let him take Goliath on, and all the while Saul doubts him.
And David knew. Maybe not the details, maybe Samuel didn't say, "You are the next king of Israel," but we're told that Samuel anoints him and the spirit of God entered him.
He knew he was called to something.
What we don't see is David saying, "Oh heck no am I going to go play harp for Saul again -- that dude's nuts!"
We don't see him tell Saul in 17:58, when Saul asks him who he is, "I'm the guy you throw shoes at during music time, you idiot."
No. David showed up every day he was called. He played the harp. He identified the needs of his king and he killed Goliath. He kept showing up. He stayed humble. He served.
Even as Saul plotted fun ways to kill him ("Bring me 100 foreskins!"), David showed up in his calling.
So I'm having this epiphany in the KFC line, as Junior Asparagus declares, "With His help little guys can do big things, too!"
I am called. I am called. I don't always know for what. What I do know is for right now. For right now, I am called to be in Moscow. God is bringing me to a place where He is working out some rough edges. I hate it. It's awful. It doesn't always feel fair. Also, this is a broken world: It is not always fair.
Sometimes you have a king who is a little crazy. Who needs your help, and curses you as you serve. Who is secretly scared of your skill, or threatened by your presence. That's not fair. Other people's stuff isn't always fun to cope with.
But regardless -- show up. I can still hear the call. I've anointed you. I've given you power to overcome. You can face these Goliaths -- even the ones inside you.
I don't know what God is calling me to, but like David, I know he's calling me to keep showing up in that anointing. To keep trying. To keep trusting.
"All those gathered here will know that it is not by sword or spear that the Lord saves; for the battle is the Lord's, and he will give all of you into our hands." 1 Samuel 17:47
Well said! 💖
ReplyDelete