Wednesday, February 25, 2015

So, this is happy


It's been a month since I've been paid, and the bank account is surviving on fumes. We're out of milk. And bubble bath. I know the first paycheck is already spent on bill catch-up.

My husband is 202 miles away 5 days a week, and I'm week-day raising an increasingly opinionated almost-2-year-old by myself until mid-June. And we're down to one car.

This morning Clark wiped snot across my fresh from the dryer pants. The only pair that fits right now because I've gained five pounds.

 I live in a too-small daylight basement duplex below a couple who vacuum every day and never turn off the TV. After a few days I start to feel like a troll in there.

Clark was up at 5:30 this morning, chanting, "Go play! Go play!"

I have had the theme song from "Super Why" stuck in my head for days.

I've got this new job where my boss is out of the office most days and I have a very loose understanding of what I'm supposed to do all day long. Most days I stare at my computer or walk around campus until it's time to go pick up Clark from day care, because I really have nothing to do but wait for emails.

My first project is a political landmine and I am for sure pissing off someone.

I wouldn't go back to Yakima for a million dollars.

There have been moments in the last month when I have wondered what in the world we were thinking. I'm sure there will be more. But this morning, I was walking across campus in the crisp February air, watching people scurry around doing Jazz Fest prep, and it was bliss. I love it here. I love my undefined job and getting off work at 4:30 and going home. I love being in bed by 10.


Last night I was in line at Safeway behind an Irish man buying two very large bottles of wine and comically berating everyone else in line: "Why is everyone shopping when I'm shopping? Look at what this guy has -- apple juice and Jell-O! That's why you're in the back! I'm buying the essentials! This is wine! This is life and death!"

God, only in Moscow. He's probably a professor.


I just had to take a minute this morning to be grateful. Yes, this is hard. I want TJ here with me. I want to buy a new house and not be a renter anymore. I want to sell my house and not be a landlord. I want to busy at work so the hours don't seem so darn long.

But wow. It's also a total dream. It's not perfect, but what is?

I just wanted to take a minute to hopefully offer a little encouragement to those I love who are also living in non-ideal situations: Remember what you're working toward. Remember all the things in your life that are still good. Remember that God has a plan and whatever This is that you're in right now is only for a season.

As a dear friend recently advised, "Take some time to listen to the birds."

Smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment