Thursday, June 7, 2012

What if God doesn't care?

What if God doesn't care what you do?

I mean, yeah, He cares in that He cares about all that we do and loves us and wants us to be happy and in His will.

But what if, in a particular instance, it doesn't matter what we do?

You face Door No. 1 and Door No. 2. Both lead to vaguely different places and represent a decision on your part, so you ask God and pray about it. But what if it doesn't matter? What if God's sitting up there saying, "No, really, this decision makes no difference to me in the greater scheme of my plans for me. Either one is fine."

Do you think it's possible?


Example: Several years ago, I bought my car. There wasn't particularly anything wrong with the car I was driving. It was paid for, it was in reasonably good shape. But it was old and starting to cost a lot to maintain. I saw a new car that I loved. I could finance it. So I bought it. Within 24 hours. I didn't spend much time praying about it. I think my prayer was something like, "Dear Jesus, I want to buy this car. Amen."

Several days later I cried on the phone to my mother, "What if it's not what God wanted for me?" And my mother, full of wisdom said, "Honey, I don't think God really cares what car you drive."

What was eating me alive at the time was my church group, who was guilting me about the car, saying it wasn't God's will for me to go into debt. They told me my purchase was vain, that I should have waited and had faith that God would bring me a car for free.

But here's the truth people: It's been a great car. In January, I'll have it paid off. Making those payments has never been a burden. That car hasn't come between me and God. It was a good financial decision for me to buy that reasonably priced used car.

(Side note: Soon after, I stopped going to that church.)


I was revisiting this question recently with T.J. We're looking at buying a house. We've looked at a variety of options — new construction, short sales, fixer uppers. We're still waiting for the right one. Through it all we keep praying and asking, "Is this what we're supposed to be doing right now?"

We've also been continuing on the path to parenthood, albeit not very aggressively. The same question exists: Is this what God wants for us right now?

We are putting everything in God's hands, trusting that we'll get pregnant when we're supposed to and a home will come by when God wants us to buy one. And we'll just keep looking until then.

But what if this is one of those Door 1 versus 2 moments?

To change the metaphor — TJ and I are on a road to from Point A, Where We Are Now, to Point B, Where We Are Going. Let's say there are two paths that get us there — Home Ownership and Renting. What if, regardless of which we choose, we still get to Point B? Each path may have its own challenges. One may be harder than the other. We may get to Point B and think, "Geez, I wish we'd done Path 2 instead of 1."

But we're still at Point B, Where We Are Going. And God was still with us the entire time, and we are still following Him and, in the grand scheme of things, on His Path.

It's easier to think about on the smaller scale: I need new gym shoes so I'm going to buy new gym shoes without a lot of thought or prayer. Or, tonight I'm having tacos for dinner instead of fish and it isn't going to affect my afterlife.

Really, I'm not saying that God doesn't have an opinion on whether T.J. and I are homeowners or parents at this particular juncture. I do think the door will open when it is time. I'm just challenging a bit, perhaps, the Christian sentiment that we have to get a thumbs up on every decision we make. I don't want fear that I'm doing the wrong thing to paralyze me from doing anything.

I'm just trusting that as we grow and learn more about Him, the edges of the Narrow Road become more distinct, and the fence a little higher. Perhaps I'll change my prayer, from "God, show me what to do in this situation," to "God, no matter what, just keep me on your road."

No comments:

Post a Comment