Yesterday, I bought supplies to make him a felt Christmas tree, with felt ornaments, he can decorate over and over.
This morning we watched "Elmo's Christmas Countdown" before school.
![]() |
| Older versions of the Starbucks holiday cup — which clearly proclaim the glory of the Lord. |
And, like most of the U.S., I have been enjoying Starbucks' red Christmas cups since Halloween.
Which I didn't know until today was controversial.
Thank goodness I have Facebook to tell me when I need to be offended by something.
Did you know, that the simple, plain aesthetics of Starbucks' solid red Christmas cups is just another volley in secular America's war on Christ, and on Christmas?
Let's add this one to the renaming of Christmas trees to "Holiday Trees" and Christmas breaks to "Holiday Breaks." It flies in the face of everything we believe in just as much as saying "Happy holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas."
I just. I just can't. I can't even pretend outrage over this issue. Let's even step back from the traditional "If you cared about social issues as much as coffee cups, we'd have world peace," arguments. Although there are plenty — justifiably — of those.
Instead, to that guy who started this, I just want to say:
Really dude?
This is what Jesus died on the cross for? For your outrage over the design of a cup created by a secular company? Where is your joy? How can you possibly spend the happiest time of the year angry over this? And everything else that you are undoubtedly angry about?
Christmas should be easy for Christians. You can't hardly walk into a store without hearing holiday musak proclaiming peace on Earth and goodwill toward men. Instead of doing something meaningful to celebrate the (arbitrarily selected day on which we celebrate the) arrival of our savior, you are going to remind the world how truly stupid the religious righteous can be.
This Christmas season, I am praying for you, Angry Christians. I am praying that every red holiday cup fills you with awe and wonder at this season. That every time you're trapped in a checkout line listening to some horrid rendition of "Away in a Manger" for the nth time, that the lyrics overwhelm you for their simplicity and beauty.
I pray Jesus gets into you in a way you never expected, and reminds you that the joy of the Lord is our strength — not the righteous indignation.
Let Jesus defend himself. In the meantime, I hope all Christians can spend the holiday season at least doing no harm, and at best making an actual difference.
Please, please — adopt a prison family this Christmas. Pick a tag off an Angel tree. Give to the Salvation Army Santa. Fill a shoebox for Operation Christmas Child. Do something. Be cheerful about giving presents to your family or creating new holiday memories.
Remember Jesus was born once, on a day we don't know. But more importantly, he died to make a path to salvation. Don't stand in the way for those on that path — like a pharisee, declaring your holiness and importance.
And if you really, really feel like the biggest thing facing Christianity today is the dilution of a co-opted holiday, please accept this steaming, warm, peppermint-flavored cup of STFU.

No comments:
Post a Comment