Thursday, September 20, 2012

Things to do instead of packing

We put in the offer on our house in early June. Our real estate agent wrote out a hopeful contract with a June 31st signing.

Which turned into July 31st.

We skipped August all together, and moved straight into September 28th. Then 20th. Now 25th. At some point I am assured we will own a home. I may have the keys for it Monday. Or Tuesday. But I must have them Wednesday by noon, as that is when our cleaning lady is showing up at the new place to remove the funk of the previous owner.

At first, I packed eagerly. I organized things, sorted piles that could go to Goodwill, tossed ripped or ill-fitting clothing. Made TJ throw away a bag full of receipts and paperwork he just knew he'd need someday.

And then I stopped packing, and closed the door on our guest bedroom so I wouldn't have to look at the piles and piles of boxes.

And now, maybe, in a few days or a week, we'll have a new home. And I'll have to move into it. And I have finish packing.

So tonight I got off early, with every intention of spending three solid hours sorting the rubble and packing boxes. I've been home an hour, instead of packing I have:

1. Read a Batman comic book TJ brought home from the library.
2. Watched an episode of Buffy ("Halloween" from season 2)
3. Baked a potato for dinner.
4. Sat on the floor and played with the cat.
5. Started a load of laundry.
6. Finally got a box and put something inside it, declaring, "There! I'm packing!"
7. Stopped packing to write a blog post about packing ...

I guess after nearly four months, I've just lost all my enthusiasm for packing.

No comments:

Post a Comment